Birds By The Stangl Pottery Still Popular
Johann Martin Stangl, best known today for his ceramic birds, went to work for the Fulper Pottery in 1910 as a chemist and plant superintendent. He acquired a financial interest and became president of the company in the late 1920s.
In 1929, the name of the firm was unofficially changed to Stangl Pottery; it was not officially changed from Fulper to Stangl until 1955.
In the 1930s, much of the effort was devoted to producing a high class dinnerware in an attempt to survive the Depression. The pieces were hand carved and hand painted with bright colors. The company also produced a variety of gift ware.
Around 1940, a limited edition of porcelain birds, modeled after illustrations in Audubon’s Birds of America was issued. The porcelain birds are not easy to find today.
Subsequently, Stangl began production of less expensive ceramic birds and these proved to be a popular item. (They are still popular with collectors.) Each bird was hand-painted.
The Stangl birds are well marked with impressed, painted or stamped numerals, indicating the species and size.
The Stangl Pottery eventually closed in 1978.
Return to Index